[thelist] MySQL export for non-technical client

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sun Oct 20 18:36:01 CDT 2002

> Wherever the client machine is, you need to enable read
> access from that IP block, for the user attempting the
> access, to the database in question. To do that you'll (once)
> need to use the mysql client over SSH.  And after changing
> permissions in this way you need to run

Right now, I'm using PuTTY and running MySQL command line. Doesn't that
indicate I already have read privileges?

> mysqladmin [-uuser] [-ppassword] flush-privileges
>
> to make those changes take hold.  Or restart MySQL.
>
> Providing that the server doesn't block port 3306 (which is
> MySQL's port), you should then be able to use any MySQL
> client from the location necessary, including in this case
> Access if properly modified (which it sounds like you've done).

Useful point: I'm confusing port 22, which is SSH, and port 3306, which is
MySQL. But I don't think that's why it's breaking; just a conceptual glitch.

But I'm still unclear about the permissions thing. I'm doing all this from
my own machine; nothing's happening at the client's location until I get it
working here.

Thanks again for the extra info.

joel