[thelist] bobby is driving me crazy

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Mon Oct 21 10:20:01 CDT 2002

>no, that can't be it.  do you mean how many requests
>they get to check files from our server?  i can check
>other files in other directories on this same server
>without problems.  it's just this particular folder
>that bobby doesn't seem to be able to get into.

There has to be a service issue then. I just tried it and got the error a
few times, tried again and it worked. Both times I got it to work I had to
have Bobby load another page from your list first, then paste in the problem
URL and run the report again. Makes no sense because HTTP doesn't care, so
that must have been pure dumb luck, but take it for what it's worth.

http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/bobbyServlet?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mmu.ac.uk
%2Facademic%2Fstudserv%2Fdemos%2Fwelcome.html&output=Submit&gl=wcag1-aaa

URL tested: http://www.mmu.ac.uk/academic/studserv/demos/welcome.html,
October 21, 2002 11:21:59 AM EDT
Watchfire Bobby Core v4.0.1, WAI Content Accessibility Guidelines
1999/05/05, Support Level: AAA

(blah blah blah text of your page blah blah blah)

Follow the links in guideline titles for detailed information about the
error.

Priority 1 Accessibility
Priority 1 User Checks
User checks are triggered by something specific on the page; however, you
need to determine manually whether they apply and, if applicable, whether
your page meets the requirements. Bobby A Approval requires that all user
checks pass. Even if your page does conform to these guidelines they appear
in the report. Please review these 6 item(s):

If you can't make a page accessible, construct an alternate accessible
version.
If style sheets are ignored or unsupported, are pages still readable and
usable?
If this is a data table (not used for layout only), identify headers for the
table rows and columns. (3 instances)
Lines 33, 89, 127
If you use color to convey information, make sure the information is also
represented another way. (18 instances)
Lines 27, 36, 37, 43, 51, 57, 61, 65, 69, 73, 77, 81, 189, 190, 191, 192,
214, 229
If an image conveys important information beyond what is in its alternative
text, provide an extended description. (8 instances)
Lines 36, 37, 81, 189, 190, 191, 192, 214
If a table has two or more rows or columns that serve as headers, use
structural markup to identify their hierarchy and relationship. (3
instances)
Lines 33, 89, 127
The following 2 item(s) are not triggered by any specific feature on your
page, but are still important for accessibility and are required for Bobby A
Approved status.

Identify any changes in the document's language.
Use the simplest and most straightforward language that is possible.

Priority 2 Accessibility
Priority 2 User Checks
User checks are triggered by something specific on the page; however, you
need to determine manually whether they apply and, if applicable, whether
your page meets the requirements. Bobby AA Approval requires that all user
checks pass. Even if your page does conform to these guidelines they appear
in the report. Please review these 6 item(s):

Make sure that labels of all form controls are properly placed.
If there are logical groupings of form controls, use FIELDSET with LEGEND on
each group. (1 instance)
Line 40
Is the user made aware that there will be pop-up windows or changes in the
active window? (1 instance)
Line 214
If scripts create pop-up windows or change the active window, make sure that
the user is aware this is happening. (3 instances)
Lines 215, 222, 226
Check that the foreground and background colors contrast sufficiently with
each other. (18 instances)
Lines 27, 36, 37, 43, 51, 57, 61, 65, 69, 73, 77, 81, 189, 190, 191, 192,
214, 229
If this gif image is animated, make sure it does not contain fast or
distracting motion. (18 instances)
Lines 27, 36, 37, 43, 51, 57, 61, 65, 69, 73, 77, 81, 189, 190, 191, 192,
214, 229
The following 7 item(s) are not triggered by any specific feature on your
page, but are still important for accessibility and are required for Bobby
AA Approved status.

Make sure that all link phrases make sense when read out of context.
Is there a site map or table of contents, a description of the general
layout of the site, the access features used, and how to use them?
Make sure your document validates to formal published grammars.
Group related elements when possible.
Is there a clear, consistent navigation structure?
Use the latest technology specification available whenever possible.
Where it's possible to mark up content (for example mathematical equations)
instead of using images, use a markup language (such as MathML).

Priority 3 Accessibility
Priority 3 User Checks
User checks are triggered by something specific on the page; however, you
need to determine manually whether they apply and, if applicable, whether
your page meets the requirements. Bobby AAA Approval requires that all user
checks pass. Even if your page does conform to these guidelines they appear
in the report. Please review these 6 item(s):

Consider furnishing keyboard shortcuts for form elements.
If this document is part of a collection, provide metadata that identifies
this document's location in the collection.
If this is a data table (not used for layout only), provide a caption. (3
instances)
Lines 33, 89, 127
Consider specifying a logical tab order among form controls, links and
objects.
If you have grouped links, is there a link at the beginning to bypass the
group?
If there are logical groups of links, have they been identified?
The following 5 item(s) are not triggered by any specific feature on your
page, but are still important for accessibility and are required for Bobby
AAA Approved status.

Is there distinguishing information at the beginning of headings,
paragraphs, lists, etc.?
If there is a search feature, are there different types of searches for
different skill levels and preferences?
Are there navigation bars for easy access to the navigation structure?
Do you allow users to customize their experience of the web page?
Is there a consistent style of presentation between pages?