[thelist] SQL Index Optimization

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Tue Oct 22 13:01:01 CDT 2002

Joshua-

> 1.  What else could I do to speed up the query?

Have you tried performance testing this from a stored proc or view?  Do you
have an index which encompasses both latitude and longitude?

> 2.  What factors in the first query make it run slower than the second?

In the first query, you use a function in the where clause.  In my
experience this always results in a slower query than using the actual SQL
syntax.  I can't get anymore specific than that since I don't know how the
server itself handles these function requests.

HTH!

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu
http://www.330i.net