[thelist] Re: thelist digest, Vol 1 #2696 - 42 msgs

rabbit at poorrabbit.com rabbit at poorrabbit.com
Tue Oct 22 23:11:01 CDT 2002

On thing I've always felt to be an important part of scalability:

Efficiency. Throwing more hardware at the problem is ALWAYS a
solution, but the question is: even with more hardware will the
application perform well with heavy usage? A poorly designed
(for example) database will eventually crumble if it gets big
enough regardless of how much hardware you throw at it, even
though it may perform admirably in a light-use environment.

Does the performance of the application stay the same at a larger
scale? If you add more users and more hardware (to match) will
the performance be the same? Or will it degrade as the size of
database grows such that *all* queries are slow?