[thelist] Re: dsl vs cable

Benjamin kalos at carolina.rr.com
Wed Oct 23 09:17:01 CDT 2002

I've had 3 different cable modem accounts now (different states) and have
loved every minute of it (mainly because I used to work for an ISP and
became spoiled by the dual OC3's).  Unfortunately Deke's experience with
Comcast was bad, however it is not typical.  My wife worked for them (we
beta tested their cable modem access when it was rolled out in our area)
and his troubles with returning the cable modem can happen to anyone (with
the modem or the box for that matter).  A few things to note here are that
it is always a good idea (tm) to return the equipment to the local office
so that it is entered into the system then and there.  A lot of the "cable
techs" aren't actually employed by the cable company directly but rather
through a contracting company.

In the 5 years I have had cable modems I have never had my IP address
change in regards to it being released.  It did change when I opted for a
newer model of cable modem as the IP was bound to the MAC address of either
the cable modem or my NIC.  This holds true for Comcast, ATT Broadband, and
TWC's RoadRunner.

Granted the tech support people have no clue about Linux, but Linux support
from _any_ ISP is little if any unfortunately.  None of the cable companies
have cared, however, that I happen to run roughly 7 machines online.  With
Comcast I used a hub because we only had to pay for an extra IP address
(for my wife) since she received the service for free as an employee.  As a
matter of fact, the TWC RoadRunner installers cracked up at the stack of
machines I have under my desk yet noted nothing nor said a word to the
unstated fact that all would be connected to the internet.  They installed
the modem and made sure my Windows box could see the internet and then left
the rest of the software on my desk with the work order stating our initial
account name and password.

It is unfortunate that you had bad experiences with your cable modem but I
have learned that a little common sense and preparation can go a very long
way when dealing with any utility company, not just the cable company.

-ben