[thelist] Stowaways

MarsHall evolt at marsorange.com
Wed Oct 23 11:21:01 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 10:28 AM, Chuck Gartland wrote:
> Mars :)Perhaps it's the Unicode Byte-Order Mark?

> Both the clean page and the pageswith the stowaways were edited in
> Komodo. Then for good measure I checked them again in notepad (the
> dumbest editor I could think of) to make sure there weren't characters
> being added on my end.

Despite your immediate dismissal of my theory that the problematic
files are Unicode, I decided to check into it further.

So, I just downloaded the source files with cURL to check their
encoding manually. The page with the "stowaways" IS encoded as Unicode
with a Byte-Order Mark.

Some Web browsers handle Unicode better than others. And even those
browsers depend upon how you declare it... which in this case, you're
not setting the encoding to UTF in your HTML.

So you need to set Komodo to save as ISO-8859 and NOT Unicode. Or at
least turn off the Byte-Order Mark!

Mars :)