[thelist] Stowaways

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander maxka at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed Oct 23 23:13:00 CDT 2002

At 11:17 AM 10/23/02, you wrote:
>MarsHall wrote:
>>Unicode ... Byte-Order Mark ... Unicode ... cURL [MMmmmmm, cURL] ... Unicode
>>with a Byte-Order Mark ... UTF ... ISO-8859 ... Unicode ... Byte-Order Mark!
>Right. So I switched charset to us-ascii, didn't fix it. Then I removed
>the charset declaration out completey. That seems to have fixed it. The
>old version of Komodo I was using had no easy way I could find to tweak
>the BOM so I am upgrading to 2.0.

         You could have also tried setting the charset to UTF-8, which is
what the charset might have been. (It also might have been UTF-16, which
nothing should really be saving as quite _just_ yet, since some old
browsers and various platforms have issues with it.)

         Many of us never run into this problem, because we use IIS. IIS
(at least the way we have it set up here where I work) will take every
single page and convert it to UTF-8, whether you like it or not, and then
specify that it did so in the HTTP headers (which is even better than that
charset meta-tag).


More information about the thelist mailing list