[thelist] RSS Newbie

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Fri Oct 25 13:20:00 CDT 2002

>Thanks for the response.  To clarify, what I'm trying to understand is what
>I need to do in order to display a feed on my website.  I'm hoping it's as
>simple as many seem to make it out to be, but so far, I haven't seen any
>straight forward instructions.

How are you creating this feed? Is it static or dynamic? I would think it is
somehow dynamic, either generated on-demand or generated to a static file at
a pre-defined interval.

If it's a file, just give the URL to it:  http://www.foo.com/rss.xml

If it's generated, just give the URL to the script which generates it:
http://www.foo.com/rss.asp

Just make sure if it's dynamically generated on-demand you send the
appropriate content-type header -- I believe it should now be
"application/xml+rss" but don't quote me on that. Instead, quote Mark
Pilgrim:  <g/>

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/06/02.html#important_change_to_the_lin
k_tag

As for notifying users of it's existence, there's a couple of conventions:
one for Radio Userland, and the other for every other user. Basic details
can be found here:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107019/stories/2002/04/16/howToEnterOrConfirmAWebl
ogSubscription.html

HTH,