[thelist] dropdown menu protocole

Jackson Yee jyee at vt.edu
Sun Oct 27 15:45:01 CST 2002

"Rachel Starr" <rachel at pinkcandyproductions.com> wrote in message
news:B9E19E40.142D%rachel at pinkcandyproductions.com...
> I have a dhtml dropdown menu in which some items link to pages within the
> site, and some link to external websites.  Is there a standard symbol or
way
> to simply indicate the difference between the menu items?  Currently, I
have
> an "@" sign beside the menu items that go to an external page, but I'm not
> sure that is clear enough for everyone.

I'm not aware of any standard ways of indicating that the menu item is
external, although I've seen plenty of ways that authors have done so.  Some
people explicitly place them under a "links" category.  Other people
highlight them in bold.  Still others say "This page at thissite.com", which
can easily extend into long, drawn-out menus.  Some the government sites
actually lead you to a brdige page stating that "the content on this page is
neither provided for nor expresses the opinion of this agency."

Really, as long as you're consistent and you document which links are which,
I doubt that you'll have a problem with viisitors figuring out what the
links do.  There are plenty of...  unique user interface designs out there.

--
Regards,
Jackson Yee
jyee at vt.edu