[thelist] IIS5: subdomains, how to configure

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Oct 28 17:49:01 CST 2002

chris,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Chris W. Parker
>
> yes that makes sense. but that's what i did originally
> with my workstation (a seperate box from the webserver)
> like i described in my email. and it still doesn't work.
>
> so... without any modifications, my workstation HOSTS
> file looks like this...
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
>
> with my dev.mydomain.com modification it has one extra
> entry, like so...
>
> <external_website_box_ip_address> dev.swatgear.com
>
> i save the file and go back to my browser, type in
> http://dev.mydomain.com/ and i am greeted with the
> homepage of www.mydomain.com and not the index.asp
> file that should be coming up if dev.mydomain.com was
> being served.
>
> so i change the HOSTS file on my local workstation to...
>
> <internal_website_box_ip_address> dev.swatgear.com
>
> to try something different and i am greeted with the
> same results. the only time it seems to work is when i
> am sitting at the web box, yet this is not suitable.

then the hosts file on your machine is working properly.  it sounds more like the way the two entries in iis are setup the dev entry never ends up getting the request for dev.mydomain.com.

one really easy fix is to bind multiple ip addresses to the network card.  then, set dev.mydomain.com to use it's own ip address.  on the main tab for the properties dialog for this iis entry, click the advanced button and make sure to change the ip address dropdown to the ip you wish to use.  also, check to make sure there's a host header entry for dev.mydomain.com as well.  just for shits and giggles, make sure the other iis entry has host header entries for mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com.

if all else fails, try stopping the entry for the main website for a second, requesting dev.mydomain.com, and see if anything comes up.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/