[thelist] Need a browser "crash" test

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 29 19:07:01 CST 2002

>done as I figured it was going to be, I downloaded a few
>earlier versions of Netscape 4, and discovered that 4.08
>and older were crashing when used to view my site.  So I
>added a "bail out" warning, with the option to continue
>for the brave.
>
>What I'd like is some help determining if there are any
>other browsers that will crash while visiting my new
>site so that I can add them to the list.  I'm
>particularly interested in what Macs see.

Unlikely. This seems like a classical NN4 problem. Move all border
declarations to the imported style sheet and the problem may go away.

>Netscape 4.51, 4.79, 6.0, 7.0 (win) - ok

4.51 survives? Curious. In general all Netscapes between 4.07 and 4.7 are
really horrible. If it works in 4.71 or higher I'm content.

>Netscape 4.07, 4.08 (win) - both crash, assuming
>previous versions also do

Not necessarily. 4.05 and 4.06 were pretty stable builds.

>Yes, I am aware of exactly which piece of code causes
>the crash, but removing it makes the sub-navigation to
>the left look like complete crap in the Netscape 4's
>that don't crash.

Your choice.

ppk