[thelist] Re: re: ie 6 and vertical spacing with CSS form elements

colin bocmaxima at wtez.net
Thu Oct 31 12:00:00 CST 2002

>          Here's the problem I think you have:
>
>          When you position something absolutely, it takes it out of the
> page's normal flow. That means that the browser should no longer consider
> that object to take up any "space." IE 6's rendering sounds like it is
> correct.--absolute-position objects can and will overlap normal-flow
objects.

IE 6's rendering is not incorrect in any way, it was just different from all
other browsers (including IE 5.5). I'm not saying that IE 6 has some sort of
different interpretation of pixels or "top", but rather the form elements
above were differently-sized by IE 6 to the point that it changed the
vertical length of the page. However, the below script fixed the problem,
meaning that when compared to the original top definition in the CSS, it was
off by 100 pixels (since the original is 1335, which is locally defined in
the div tags).

 if (navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") {
   var applet_version = navigator.appVersion;
   var words = applet_version.split(";");
   var version = words[1].split(" ");
    if (version[2] > 5.99) {
   document.all["GradAcademicHistory"].style.top = "1435";
   document.all["UnderAcademicHistory"].style.top = "1435";
   document.all["nothingthere"].style.top = "1435";
   }
 }

If interested, you can see it in action here:
http://www.tech.uh.edu/studentsurvey/survey.htm
under "Part B" where it says in big letters "Please indicate...". I just ask
that you please not fill out the survey.

Thank you for the reply,

colin
bocmaxima at wtez.net