[thelist] Pop-up window that precludes entrance to main site until okay'd

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Sun Nov 3 23:12:01 CST 2002

derry,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Derry Talvainn
>
> I have a client that wants a list of terms and
> conditions on his website that anyone viewing it will
> have to accept before entering the site.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

if the site is fully dynamic (ie, not static html pages) then it should be
fairly simple to do.  depending on the makeup of your audience, you might
even be able to get alittle more fancy with it.  i have a site that's in the
final stages of development that has something like this built-in.  for ie
users they get a nicely designed "confirm" dialog complete with
"enter"/"exit" buttons.  non-ie browsers get a javascript confirm() prompt.
based on the audience for this particular site it was deemed that non-js
support wasn't necessary so those users get in without confirming their
acceptance of the terms which has the hidden benefit of making the site
completely accessible to spiders while still retaining the confirmation for
most, if not all, of the site's buying audience no matter which page they
enter the site through.

hopefully i'll have the time to put together an example of this
functionality online for everyone to see.

.jeff

http://evolt.org/
jeff at members.evolt.org
http://members.evolt.org/jeff/