[thelist] [css] display:none

Paul Bennett paul at teltest.com
Mon Nov 4 16:43:04 CST 2002

Frst of all, apologies if this has been done to death - my last javascript question got me a right bashing!  (thanks Jeff :) )
I have an absolutely positioned div at the top of my page, with style set to diplay:none in the stylesheet.
  The stylesheet is linked via @import, so the purpose of the div is to display a (friendly) "non-compliant browser" message   to the likes of NN4 etc.
Trouble is that the div still pushes my content down, so I have had to adjust the padding of my other (visible) page content. I was under the impression that if i set it to display:none, and made it absolutely positioned (thus taking it out of page flow) it would not affect the visible portions of page content.
>> I have tested this in Moz 1.1, IE6, Opera 6 (works as expected in NN4.79)

The offending page is here:

http://www.linkworks.co.nz/templates/phase_2_3.html

stylesheet here:

http://www.linkworks.co.nz/templates/styles.css