[thelist] What shall we do with the W3C DOM?

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DvSI/SICoR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Wed Nov 6 08:10:01 CST 2002

<snip>
> So when the W3C DOM comes into serious use we web developers
> should take one
> step back from the visible and clickable interface of the website and
> concentrate on the application layer that *creates* this visible and
> clickable interface.
>
> Is this a brilliant idea or complete nonsense?
</snip>

Hi ppk,

As much as I respect what you write (and have done so for nearly as long as I've been on the web) I feel that you have forgotten one main thing here.

Many sites today offer some kind of server-side personalisation. I'm not sure any web developer would want so much interaction done client-side with all the hassle it implies, such as browser-specific implementation, etc etc (although the topic of your email is saying exactly the contrary, which is hopefully what will happen eventually).

<slightly OT>
I mean, every time someone asks something about W3C DOM javascript on this very least it sounds like a complete headache. I'm not saying it should not be used, and I have developed a dhtml collapsible menu using at the beginning only DOM JS just to sharpen my teeth on this technology (then of course I had to rewrite most of the script since our intranet is based on IE5.5 that does not understand some dom methods as you know).
</slightly OT>

What I don't quite get is why wouldn't a web dev take advantage of server-side techonlogies, considering it's so much easier and so much more straightforward most of the time...

s t e f
http://www.nota-bene.org/