[thelist] Why would I want on-line live tech support?

Jay Blanchard jay.blanchard at niicommunications.com
Wed Nov 6 12:37:01 CST 2002

[snip]
I would think that it would depend heavily upon your business and how
savvy your users are.

Not knowing what you'd use it for, it's hard to say, but hopefully those
are some examples that may give some rationale.
[/snip]

It would also require that you have appropriate personnel in place to handle
such live requests when required by the consumer. If you are a gloabl
business, but you put a blurb that says that live online tech support is
available from 8:30am until 4:30pm CST you may put off some of your global
customers.

That brings up another point, if you put the live online repsonse team on 24
hours per day (due to being global) you may start to encounter language
differences or at the very least, those whose English may not be terrific.
If the product is technical in nature and the live response team does not
understand the intracacies of the user's local difficulty it could do more
harm than good.

It seems to be a cool idea, I know that Land's End uses this method along
with other retail outlets.

Jay