[thelist] FW:How to find out the size of a web site?

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Fri Nov 8 07:08:16 CST 2002

At 05:39 PM 08-11-02, Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC) wrote:
>1. Where can I find out the MB size of a live site?

Well... do you have FTP access to the site? If you do, it wouldn't take too
long to write a server-side script that checks the size of all the files on
the site.

If you're taking over the site, you'll probably have access to some kind of
hosting company control panel. Some of these allow you to see the space
used by your site.

>2. Is there an easier way of grabbing a site off of the web than
>grabbing each page and graphic one at a time? This site has close to
>50 linked pages with graphics and forms.

50 pages isn't a lot. 50 pages * 50K each (I hope) = ~ 2.5 MB = a few
minutes on a dialup connection.

Use WinHTTrack. But remember that it can't submit forms for you, and won't
give you the source code to any scripts. You'll get plain ol' HTML.

If you have FTP access to the site, you're set.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
Internet User Experience Consultant

Content * Interfaces * Usability * Net Strategy