[thelist] XML Parsing with java servlets

Kevin Sedgley Kevin.Sedgley at pml.ac.uk
Fri Nov 8 09:41:01 CST 2002

Hello evolters,

I'm currently writing some java servlets to process and serve XML documents. I am having issues with (it seems) accessing XML files when running my program as a servlet, but when I run it locally (as a normal class) it runs absolutely fine.

Specifically, performing a toString() on a DOM node returns
[nodename: null]
when run through the servlet, but the same XML file ran locally will parse and process fine. But a statement such as (myNode == null) will return false, so it isn't a null object.

The files the servlet are accessing are contained within the servlets WEB-INF directory, so I wouldn't have thought it would be a sandbox/security type issue.

Anyone come across this type of problem before?

Thanks for your help,

Kevin.