[thelist] Caching of external javascripts

Tony Light TonyLight at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 10 05:57:01 CST 2002

Hi, I'm looking for a word of advice from all you Opera buffs out there (though the problem may well affect other browsers that I have not yet tested).

If we include an external javascript in an ordinary html page (i.e. using <script src="blah.js"></script>) then IE 5+ and Netscape 6 appear not to cache that script, while Opera 5+ does cache it.

Normally I guess this is no problem.  However if that script is itself being dynamically generated to deliver some sort of dynamic content, you do have a problem.
Refreshing the page will reflect (in IE and Netscape) any change just made to the script.
In Opera, refresh all you like - no change.

I've tried zapping all of Opera's caching parameters - so on the face of it nothing at all should be cached.  It persists in caching these pesky external scripts.  Of course, closing Opera and reopening it will then get you a refresh  - but that is not ideal!

Any cunning ploys folks?
Or anything really obvious that I have overlooked?

Regards,
    Tony.