[thelist] Doctypes, xml declarations and charsets

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 06:48:01 CST 2002

Hi all

I'm trying for maximum browser compatibility and a real world approach
to standards.

I read that <?xml.... declarations for charset at the start of an xhtml
doc can cause problems so I've not been using it, just this:

<head>

Can anyone enlighten me on what problems i might cause with which
browsers by using an xml declaration?
conversely:
What problems might I cause by not using one?

I've tried reading the W3C specs but they make my head hurt - where are
the real world examples?

Thanks

Tony

--