[thelist] building websites, instructions on

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Mon Nov 11 15:34:01 CST 2002

Chris,

As with any business, you need a blue print before you lay down the first
stud. Once you have your blue print, its a good idea to create 3 samples of
the idea. Take it back to the client and tell them to pick the best one.
Take that winner, add something and create 3 more samples. Rinse and Repeat.
This may be the best ad hoc approach.

Remember this, the more planning, documentation, research, and development
done before you hammer in the first nail, the less time you'll incur
developing the thing. I've made myself a lot of physical page templates that
I may use to rearrange things on (i.e. navigation, etc), much like M$
Visio's Office Layout wizard to aid in page design.

As my brother once told me about web design, "Its really up to you to
determine if the design is effective or not." As far as good web design,
check out www.designinteract.com and their Site of the Week Archives. Design
Interact is Communication Arts magazines' Web Site. Getting a subscription
to CA isn't a bad idea either.

<tip type="Web Design Poem" author="Rob.Smith">
If you're stuck in a rut,
With out a web site idea in your gut.
Just remember Chuck,
Inspiring Environments bring lots of luck.
</tip>

Rob.Smith