[thelist] automatic code updates with PHP

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Tue Nov 12 13:45:00 CST 2002

Peter VanDijck wrote:

> - Write access to the server probably isn't an option either (trust
> issues).
> - So my conclusion so far is to use eval()
If you, as their chosen web developer, can not get write access to their
server, than there are larger problems than how to deploy updates, imho.

If you really want to eval() the whole website, do it.  You could as
easily use a filesystem instead of a database with eval() and encounter
fewer problems with quoting, execution speed, etc.  Think about it, how
hard would it be to use timestamps on files rather than a timestamp db
field?

--Steve