[thelist] Re: Perl vs other tech

Benjamin kalos at carolina.rr.com
Tue Nov 12 14:19:24 CST 2002

When I was first getting started I looking into PHP (then in version 3) and
Perl.  I chose Perl for multiple reasons, namely that I had a friend who is
a guru and could mentor me with it.  The other main reason was that php
seemed sloppy in that I've had to clean up way too much code where it was
impossible to find out wtf was going on because you ddon't have to declare
variables.  (Ok, technically you don't have to with Perl either but if you
aren't "using" the strict module you are either a masochist, a fool, or
both).  Add in tons of pre-made modules and it is still the best hands down
in my opinion.

"Also PHP has a C look-n-feel"
Larry Wall developed Perl using a good deal of C knowledge among other
things. ( http://history.perl.org/PerlTimeline.html ).  The odd thing is
that you can write scripts/apps that look just like a winblows batch file
or a very in depth C application.  It's all up to the programmer.

As for a psuedo SSI function try the HTML::Template module.

-benjamin