[thelist] Caching of external javascripts

Tony Light TonyLight at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 12 15:08:10 CST 2002

Re. the problem of Opera (and possibly others?) insisting on cacheing Javascript source files, Stephane Deschamps offered the following advice...

> Have you tried calling the .js with a new date each time appended as a query param
> like such: myscript.js?date=200211120525 (etc)?

Thanks for the suggestion Stephane,
I would certainly consider that if I were using PHP or ASP pages.
The problem is that the calls to these scripts are on HTML pages, outside my control, so I cannot vary the file name at all.

The ideal solution (which I'm pretty sure does not exist) would be something in the .js file to tell browsers not to cache it.

The next best would be some Opera setting that I've overlooked which would tell Opera not to cache them.

Regards,
    Tony.