[thelist] [CODE] bloated image src names

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Nov 12 18:55:00 CST 2002

kelly,

i think you've misinterpreted my intention. i'm with you kelly. i think
that directories *are* a good thing and better represent logically what
the file system sees. those questions were posed to rudy since he's the
one with the burden of proof.

also i think your example is a good comparison, considering the
filesystem is modeled after a filing cabinet? also, the bandwidth hit is
important too. would it take longer to download 10,000 files with
permissions, etc. or 5 directories? the files of course. but then you
could ask, well it could take longer to navigate to the file your
looking for considering double-clicks and downloads etc. but at the same
time, when using directories i don't have to wait for information on
every single file to download, just the files within the directories i
think my file may be contained within.

rudy,

> > besides a few characters, what's the difference between
> > src="images_home_rainbow.gif" and
> > src="images/home/rainbow.gif".
> > are they really anything more than
> > two logical ways of representing the same thing?
>
> hey, that's what i was trying to say!

ok fine. but i am not a convert just yet. the idea i was posing with
that question was, since they are both basically the same thing, why go
through the trouble of doing it your way when it seems to me using
folders is much more convenient than not using folders.

> as long as we are being open-minded, are there any benefits
> to not using folders?
>
> i can think of several

i can't. at least not any that outweigh the benefits of folders. please
let me in on the secret(s).

chris.