[thelist] different ways of importing css + tip

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Nov 13 09:40:01 CST 2002

At 07:36 AM 11/13/2002, you wrote:
>Regarding the use of comments, it depends on the version of HTML you
>are using - in XHTML they are not allowed, IIRC. They are used to
>hide the css from VERY old browsers - I suspect they are an
>anachronism. In any event I don't include comments around my @import
>statements and this has never caused any problems.

Well, for the record, they are allowed, but XHTML requires that script and
style elements be wrapped in CDATA markings.  See:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.8>

You can use both properly by doing the following:

<!-- <![CDATA[
   // Whatever.
</script>

Whether or not you *want* to, however, is entirely up to you.  XHTML only
requires:

<![CDATA[
   // Whatever.
]]>