[thelist] automatic code updates with PHP

Peter VanDijck pvandijck at lds.com
Wed Nov 13 10:33:01 CST 2002

> I gave two potential solutions - one gives your client control and choice,
> the other give you control and choice. It sounds like you're really stuck
> on this eval() idea, which is fine, but I can think of a million reasons
> why it would be a pain to work with, especially given that rsync and cvs
> *already do what you need to do*, and much more efficiently, too.

No. A CVS account or a crippled shell account means too much technical
knowledge required and slashes my target audience by a huge factor (100s
or even 1000s), so that's not an option.
But there are still very real strategic advantages in being able to send
updates to users, not just for them but for me as well. So those may way
in heavier than the eval() disadvantages. (what are those again except
performance? <un-engineer-like statement alert>Performance is not an
important issue for this product)</un-engineer-like statement alert>)

If I could find another option than eval() I'll grab it with 2 hands!
Peter