[thelist] [Legal] MIDI & copyright issues

Erik Bennett ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us
Wed Nov 13 14:17:00 CST 2002

--
  Some of my web designers brought up the fact that one of our schools is
extensively using midi's (I know... GASP!) on their web site. And while my
preference is "no music on the sites" at all, it's not my call to make, only
to suggest. But the question arose, what are the legal issues of MIDI? Is a
MIDI version of a Beatle's tune, or Neil Diamond's "Coming to America"
actually a copyright violation? I googled "MIDI legal copyright" but most of
what I found was either a) out-of-date, b) didn't answer the question, or c)
blocked by my work's web filters. Shucks. :-)
  Any legal eagles on the list wanna take a stab at this? Or non-legal
eagles as well. :-) We're an educational institution (K-12 public schools)
so please keep that in mind as well. Thanks!

Erik

Erik Bennett
ECASD Webmaster 	Network Accounts
ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us <mailto:ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us>
accounts at ecasd.k12.wi.us <mailto:accounts at ecasd.k12.wi.us>
http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us <http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/>
http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/accounts
<http://www.ecasd.k12.wi.us/webmaster/accounts>

500 Main Street
Eau Claire, WI 54701

Phone:  715-839-6290 x551
Fax:    715-833-3481

--
[ winmail.dat was deleted, please don't send attachments with your message. ]