[thelist] [Flash] ::: External .swf ::: Access to "parent" objectmodel

matt s. mspiegler at lightbulbpress.com
Thu Nov 14 09:33:01 CST 2002

> I know that if the reference was within the movie clip itself I
> could use (eg) _root/MovieClip, but within the external .swf
> I am assuming that when I make this reference it's looking
> for MovieClip within itself, rather than from the root of the
> "parent" file...

Don't forget that once you load the MC into _root, then _root becomes
the container MC, rather than the "_root" of the external MC. So any
references you have to _root in the external .swf will get screwy, if
you're trying to refer to something w/in the external .swf. When
building a flash movie with lots of .swf's being loaded, its a good idea
to avoid _root, unless you're absolutely sure that you're referring to
the container MC.

.matt