[thelist] [Flash] ::: External .swf ::: Access to "parent" object model

Geoff Sheridan web2k2 at premonition.co.uk
Thu Nov 14 09:33:13 CST 2002

Your source of confusion is in the use of the term _root
_root is a relative term and means the parent level. EG:
If called from a movie clip on _level0, _root means _level0
If called from a movie clip on _level23658, _root means the same as
_level 23658

Unless you need to access the parent level from a clip which doesn't
know in advance what level it will be on, (and in this case you
don't) my advice is to ignore _root and use _level0 instead.
The first .swf file loaded by the HTML page is always at _level0 by
default. If you load a new movie onto _level1 and then wish to affect
a movie on the original timeline, the path is _level0.

HTH

Geoff