[thelist] [Flash] ::: External .swf ::: Access to "parent"object model

Benjer futureweb at macmail.com
Thu Nov 14 10:57:01 CST 2002

> Very interesting question. I would say from my experience that it is
> necessary to explicitly unload movies.

>The solution I came up with involved loading successive external
>.swfs into a target blank movieclip on _level0. This forces flash to
>flush the content of the previous .swf. For some reason it also
>seemed to be more robust than using levels.

currently still unclear wether unLoadMovie makes any difference, taken from
werehere forums. So you actually used the correct method yourself :)

flash 5
Flash does have a bug when you use loadMovie () to load an external SWF. It
will not deallocate the memory needed for that movie even if you call
unloadMovie (), and subsequent calls to loadMovie () will keep allocating
more memory unless you *replace* the movie location with another movie
(loaded). Therefore if you want to deallocate the memory used by a loaded
movie, load a blank movie into its location.

MX
I don't even know if they've corrected the bug where using unloadMovie ()
actually unloads the movie from memory. Formerly, if not presently, you had
to load a blank movieclip in over the previously loaded one if you wanted
some of your memory back