[thelist] <fieldset>? WAS: (lining up forms using CSS)

Alex Ezell taranis at spittingllamas.com
Fri Nov 15 15:22:15 CST 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:07:48 -0000, Tony Crockford <tonyc at boldfish.co.uk> wrote:

> This explains it:
>
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/forms/fieldset.html
>
> This is where I'm using it:
>
> http://www.torbytes.co.uk/search.htm

Thanks for the links (you too Chris!).

After playing around, I noticed that you can affect the border color that
it uses:
fieldset {
	border-color: #CC0000;
}
You can add a background color as well, but it plays out sort of strangely
with the way the Legend is displayed.

Here's what I found when playing with borders and backgrounds:
Opera 7: Legend displays correctly. If you add a border-color, the border
disappears. Background color expands past the top border to the top of the
Legend text.
Opera 6: Legend displays inline with rest of Elements instead of offset.
Border-color works. Background-color works, but because Legend displays
incorrectly, not sure how it expands.
IE 6: Legend displays correctly. Border color works. Background color
expands past top border to top of Legend text.
Mozilla 1.2: Legend displays correctly. Border color works. Background
color stops at top border even with middle of Legend text.

Some interesting quirks there, but could still be useful to be able to
style the border and background depending on the need of the application.

--
Alex Ezell
http://www.spittingllamas.com