[thelist] Generating static Pages

.jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Fri Nov 15 21:50:01 CST 2002

bob,

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> From: Bob Haroche
>
> If his only concern is search engines, why not adopt a
> SEO strategy that relies on doorway/hallway pages.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

1) doorway pages that get indexed are optimized for search
   engines and therefore aren't particularly friendly to
   your human visitors that are clicking on the links in
   the search results.

2) search engines are starting to recognize the patterns
   that give away that a site is using doorway pages by
   checking to see whether or not there are any links in
   back to the doorway page from within the site.  doing
   a simple backlink check on the pages in the site that
   have in-site links to each other it's simple to find
   all the bs doorway pages linking to them and discount
   the entire site for using doorway pages (ie, bogus
   content).

3) doorway pages aren't likely to be the pages that will
   be linked to by human users.  therefore, you won't get
   any page ranking benefits for your doorway pages.
   instead, your dynamic pages will be getting linked,
   but since query strings are used, the page will get
   little, if any, page rank.  in other words, you've
   just wasted the page rank from the human-created
   links to your content (the most valuable of all
   things in getting your content high in the engines)

my advice is to ditch doorway pages.  they're more trouble than they're
worth and can actually damage your rankings.  you're much better off
investing the time in building your dynamic site in a way that's inherently
search engine friendly.

just some thoughts,

.jeff

http://evolt.org/