[thelist] Generating static Pages

Aleem Bawany aleem.bawany at utoronto.ca
Sat Nov 16 01:45:01 CST 2002

> > I have a client who wants me to generate static pages from my
> > asp pages!

In php I simply use

php -q index.php > index.html

in asp, you could load the page up in a browser and save it as an html
file, or run a software to crawl the entire site and download all the
pages which will be static of course, provided there aren't too many
pages.

You can also use a utility called wget to get the pages and save them as
a static file. It's a unix utility but you can get a win32 port for it
(let me know if you can't find it). You can use it like so:

wget http://localhost/index.asp?item=camera&num=45 -o
/camera/item45.html

-o is the output redirector. and this page gets saved in the camera
folder with the name item45.html

using this basic idea you can create a batch file or a perl script (or
whatever you prefer) which calls wget and does this.

-aleem