[thelist] php design question

David U. davidu at everydns.net
Mon Nov 18 17:01:01 CST 2002

Steve Lewis wrote:
>> Two words; objects and classes. (see below)
>
> IMHO: Don't believe the hype.  OO in PHP, is not 'there' yet and I
> would advocate using functional programming techniques.  Nested
> includes work, but so do functions.

You're kind of right.  I specifically didn't mention the words "object
oriented" in my post.  PHP does not *yet* have a way to create totally OO
code.  Things like private variables, scope, etc are not yet functional.  It
does have inheritance and lots of other goodies though which make it almost
a pleasure to work with -- certainly better than writing large applications
of monolithic code. (been there done that)  Additionally, almost all of the
benefits of code reuse and flexibility are there right now; TODAY.

Sure, includes work, but they can sure cause lots of problems, I'd recommend
that Tom, should he choose to go that direction, read carefully the pages on
php.net/include and php.net/include_once.  They all have their uses and
their places.

> This could be the topic of a religious war; I won't bother defending
> my opinion in the hopes of sparing the list of unnecessary traffic.

Clearly you mean an "emacs vs. vi" war -- religious wars are so passé. :-)

-davidu