[thelist] php design question

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Nov 18 20:07:01 CST 2002

thanks andrew, i do see somewhat more now

> classes are normally included via ...

stop right there

includes are normally included, too

what's the difference?

> then, say we wanted to add a new listing to the menu:
>
> $menu->addOption("stir the cocktail", "/index.php?go=stir");

in my case, the data is either in the database or on its way
to the browser as html -- i don't see why i have to store it in
an object if i just want to output what's in the database

or delete it?  shoot, if i wanted to delete a menu item, i'd better do
that in the database, or i'm screwed

or change its colour!??  hey, my style sheet governs that!!

> finally, to output the menu one might:
>
> $menu->printMenu();

i'm getting the idea, but i don't see how this gives me the flexibility
i need in separating form from content

sometimes the menu will be one tier of the hierarchy, sometimes more

sometimes it'll be a css-styled list, sometimes table cells

i would imagine -- feel free to enlighten me -- that the guy writing the
html will have something to say about how a menu should be displayed

if you encapsulate style into content, isn't that a step backward?

rudy