[thelist] What would be your perfect Newspaper website?

Liam Delahunty ldelahunty at britstream.com
Mon Nov 25 07:47:02 CST 2002

>Basically I need to redesign www.hollandsentinel.com

Being (mostly) British I too use the BBC site a lot. I dislike the way a
column size is forced on one, but other than that I like the design, style,
font size (and the main text is resizable) etc. Also there's a text only
version. http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm

I like the gogole news service, and will often visit there first, but it's
US centric attitude annoys especially even if you visit it via
http://news.google.co.uk, where I'd expect a UK heading not a US, and proper
sports and the right sort of football ;)
That too has a text version http://news.google.co.uk/news/gnmainlite.html

Other than that the (London) Times and NYT both do a similar good job, one
used to have to register with the NYT I don't know if you still need to. But
I hate the way fonts change (NYT), with serif and sans-serif used all over
the place on their home page.

The http://www.iht.com/ is clever as it resizes the vertical content, and
keeps the newspaper metaphor with several columns. But I seldom read it...

The Sydney Morning herald http://www.smh.com.au/ is good and has fluid
design, but they have funny sports too. ;)

Most news sites look the same, with a column with of just less than 800px or
so, left navigation and the right side having further
information/links/adverts. I'd like to see a more fluid design where I
didn't need to scroll as much, but I appreciate that wide expanses of text
are so easy to read, but at least then it'd be my choice to resize the
browser to force the smaller size.

Perhaps an experiment with an iframes choice or overflow: scroll divs would
be worth spending some time on?

It'd be good to have three main templates. One is the graphical <800px
width. One is graphical with fluid/page width, and one for text only. Then
everyone's happy.

Kind regards,
Liam Delahunty
Mega Products Limited, 10-11 Moor Street, Soho, London W1D 5NF
t: 020 7434 4201 f: 0870 135 8412
http://www.liamdelahunty.com/ web/ design/ database/ programming
http://www.britstream.com/ Hosting/ Domain Names From UKP 7.50 p.a.