[thelist] Effcient ASP Script?

Paul Roub paul at roub.net
Mon Nov 25 15:04:01 CST 2002

I would also update all-at-once, or at least many-at-once.

So build a comma-separated list of matching companies as you go:

	if (strCompanies <> "") then
		strCompanies = strCompanies & ","
	end if

	strCompanies = strCompanies & "'" & rstemp("company") & "'"

then, when all is said and done,

	conn.execute("update registrants set type=1 where company in (" &
strCompanies & ")"

Yes, this will be an enormous statement (you may want to break it up into
smaller chunks to avoid SQL Server limitations -- I don't have docs handy to
say whether there *are* any here), but many round-trips go away.

Of course, my *real* first question would be -- why are you doing this?  Is
there a better approach to whatever your'e trying to accomplish?

-paul