[thelist] Web Developer Certification

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Mon Nov 25 16:39:15 CST 2002

Ok, this is a touchy subject with me as I'm about to go through this and am
also asking for advice on the subject.

>1. What if certification of some sort *was* necessary in the field of web
>dev? What currently available certifications would most likely end up being
>required? Are there particular certifying bodies already in existence that
>would prevail if it really mattered?

A: I think, as from what a PHD told me, that a Masters in Computer
Information Systems would be my next path. I received my BS in CS last year
and have been craving to return ever since; probably because I've been in
school my whole life and am having withdrawals. I've also heard several
other PhD's here around the work place who've also expressed interest in me
to get this next level of education. However, the University here only
offers a certification (6 courses / 18 hours) towards the paper. They're
working on a full fledged masters program now.

I was able to pick up web development before entering High school in '94,
the degree only taught me how to think. As you mentioned:

>...although most 'list-ees seem to maintain the idea that certification
>is not necessary, and that your work, knowledge and experience should
>speak for itself.

>2. Should certification in our (mostly) technical field of web development
>be required? Should it at least be preferred?

Would any IT manager be more likely to higher the more qualified individual?
All in all, it weighs upon what you know in case there's a "fire".

>3. Do you hope to see our industry become a more organized, regulated,
>functional machine so that it may always work properly, or is it better off
>being free and open so that growth and creativity may flourish?

Yes and yes. I believe we spread ourselves too thin in some areas, while
there seem to be over saturated. Where's the happy medium of our little
eTechnocracy? I also think that there should be a percentage of us
constantly searching out new ways of communication, but should realize when
to stop and focus on what works and what doesn't.

Bottom line:
If you feel that you need a certification to enhance your career and put
yourself in front of your line of applicants, do it. Is it required in the
field? not really, its just another piece of paper with your name on it, to
hang on your wall of fame...or shame. (its your own personification of
yourself)

What do you want your wall to look like?

Rob.Smith