[thelist] Web Developer Certification

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Mon Nov 25 17:13:01 CST 2002

Message from Bill Haenel (11/25/2002 04:35 PM)

>I'm hoping to get facts and opinions on the following questions:
>
>1. What if certification of some sort *was* necessary in the field of web
>dev? What currently available certifications would most likely end up being
>required? Are there particular certifying bodies already in existence that
>would prevail if it really mattered?

Unfortunately, the ones pushed through by big marketing bucks, driven by
the corporate entities who really seek only to grow their bottom line.

Here's my two cents. "Certification" can only be worth something if the
certifying body is not in the business to make a profit, or to push its own
products. The certificate must truly represent the knowledge a person has
on the topic, and must not be something that can be conveniently purchased
for the right price.

Is that likely to happen? Probably not.

This can be an interesting, very topical subject. Might pop open a can of
worms or two though.

regards.
-marc