[thelist] Web Developer Certification

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Nov 25 20:29:00 CST 2002

> Bottom line:
> If you feel that you need a certification to enhance your career and put
> yourself in front of your line of applicants, do it. Is it required in the
> field? not really, its just another piece of paper with your name
> on it, to hang on your wall of fame...or shame.

> Rob.Smith

This is a good point, yes. But this POV seems to focus on how certification
or lack thereof benefits the developer seeking a job. I wonder how
certification programs (un-commercialized programs, that is) might benefit
or hinder our industry overall. What if there was value in being a
"Certified Web Developer"? Wouldn't that cause an increase in the number of
developers who were certified? And if there was an increase in the number of
certified developers, wouldn't that result in a higher number of developers
all doing things the same (or similar) way?

BH