[thelist] Web Developer Certification

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Nov 25 20:41:00 CST 2002

> >Web Dev is a far to rapid-changing and creative field to have
> >Certifications mean *anything*.
>
> At the moment, yes, since following the standards while keeping an eye on
> what actually works in common browsers is a bit of a black art.
> I'd say it would be possible to create a commonly-accepted certification
> standard only after the technical expectations of browsers and standards
> compliance become more predictable.

Let's say certified developers were required to be experts in the already
existing W3C specs, plus whatever else they want to say they are certified
for (say Perl, PHP, ASP, SQL, etc.). If there was a reputation of value in
that certification, wouldn't there logically follow a wider usage of those
specs, and in turn a higher need for standards  compliance?

ONe becomes the chicken, and one the egg, depending on which comes first,
no?

BH