[thelist] CSS input/radio button background for Macs

MarsHall evolt at MARSorange.com
Mon Nov 25 21:22:01 CST 2002

On Monday, Nov 25, 2002, at 15:10 US/Central, Dave Miller wrote:
> Any tips for using CSS to render background colors for radio buttons
> and
> checkboxes for IE5/Mac? Also, any way to style drop-down menu boxes
> for the Mac browsers?

I'm assuming your using IE5 in Mac OS X? Yes?

If that is the case, you have no form element styling abilities. IE is
a patch job with the Aqua UI... I say it's a patch job, because IE's
layout engine [Talisman] does most graphics rendering internally, the
form elements being an exception (they are generated by the Aqua Window
Server), and so the compositing of those beautifully rendered
drop-shadowed Aqua elements with the rest of a page can sometimes be,
ummmmm, ugly.

And Chimera Navigator (which uses the Mozilla 1.0 layout engine
[Gecko]) also uses the standard Aqua UI elements... same issue as IE:
those elements are not rendered by the browser, but instead Aqua.
Except with Chimera, the whole page is rendered by Aqua [yeah!], so
their compositing within the page always looks *fine*.

This will be the case with all browsers/applications that truly adhere
to Apple's User Interface Guidelines.

Mozilla supports the form element CSS stylings you might expect from
its fine developers. Mozilla DOES NOT follow Apple's UI Guidelines  ^:-o

Mars :)

p.s. I am not a Cocoa Developer, but I think I got that explanation
right. Please, feel free to correct me!  :-P