[thelist] typography examples?

Francois Jordaan francois.jordaan at wheel.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 03:59:01 CST 2002

Looking at your follow-up now, I realise the sites I sent were more *about*
type, rather than *using* type. Unfortunately, on the web good typography
frequently means over-reliance on bitmap images or de facto Flash.

Todd Dominey's blog is IMO an example of good HTML-only typography:
http://www.whatdoiknow.org

This site also constitutes really sensible typography for the web:
http://www.dashes.com/magazine/

While for many designers, good typography means overt type like Dave
McKean's Sandman covers
http://www.mckean-art.co.uk/
on the web, perhaps even *more* than in print, the function of typography is
self-negation. Both these news sites, for example, I think has good
typography, but no one would remember them for their typography:
http://www.wired.com/
http://www.latimes.com/

The following site actually combines database-driven HTML and Flash to get
the best of both worlds. OK, it defeats copying & pasting, but the
typography is an attractive feature of the site:
http://www.artandculture.com/

It reminds me of Second Story's work, most of which is typographically
excellent:
http://www.secondstory.com/
http://www.moma.org/brucke/
http://www.thebanmappingproject.com/

Finally, this guy's cartoons have great Saul Bass-ish typography in the
titles:
http://billyblob.com

francois