[thelist] php data driven site on cd

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 04:19:01 CST 2002

> a client of mine just asked out of curiosity if his website
> that runs from a mysql db can be put onto a cd-rom for him
> incorporating the search facility too.  i didn't think so and
> can't find anything on the web about it.  is it possible?
> any links to any info on it?  any info would be much appreciated.
>
> many tia
> reuben

Anything is possible.

I always ask my clients why they want it on CD and where they will use
it.

Usually they have no idea and often the reasons they are asking is that
it would be nice to send to their clients.

At this point I will explain that the CD that they send will most likely
end up as a coaster, it will cost them an arm and a leg to produce the
CD, printing and packaging to a decent standard, notwithstanding the
technical difficulties (and tehrefore cost) of ensuring that the CD is
compatible with their clients computer.

I end up suggesting that they just send clients the url as that's what
they have paid for already.

if you still want to do it you need to decide how much will run from the
CD, if it's all of it then you need to forget PHP and MySQL solutions
and think flat html and javascript search engines

(assuming your client's target for the CD has a browser installed and
will let CD's autorun)

These links might be of interest:

http://www.searchtools.com/tools/tools-disc.html
http://www.atrise.com/everyfind/