[thelist] Web Developer Certification

Bill Haenel mail at webmarketingworx.com
Tue Nov 26 07:06:02 CST 2002

> IMHO, certifications mean little more than "possibly proficient". I don't
> sit behind a desk and hire people all day, but if I did I would pay little
> attention to a candidate's test-taking abilities, as those types of tests
> never address real-world issues.
>
> nagrom

There are some pretty bogus "certifications" out there, yes. And in fact my
own opinion is that you'd need to scrap them all. A written test in my mind
does not constitute a valuable certification.

But what if certifications of developers were evaluated and approved by
accredited assessors, much like in other fields. In that way there may be an
opportunity to get a much more meaningful certification. It's not a test,
it's a process of evaluation based on examining one's work as well as their
knowledge level, and perhpas their processes, etc. This would be especially
true if the accreditation is granted to the assessor by the same body that
approves and publishes the industry standards.

BH