[thelist] Web Developer Certification

Morgan Kelsey morgan at morgankelsey.com
Tue Nov 26 09:23:00 CST 2002

> > IMHO, certifications mean little more than "possibly proficient". I
don't
> > sit behind a desk and hire people all day, but if I did I would pay
little
> > attention to a candidate's test-taking abilities, as those types of
tests
> > never address real-world issues.
>
> There are some pretty bogus "certifications" out there, yes. And in fact
my
> own opinion is that you'd need to scrap them all. A written test in my
mind
> does not constitute a valuable certification.
>
> But what if certifications of developers were evaluated and approved by
> accredited assessors, much like in other fields. In that way there may be
an
> opportunity to get a much more meaningful certification. It's not a test,
> it's a process of evaluation based on examining one's work as well as
their
> knowledge level, and perhpas their processes, etc. This would be
especially
> true if the accreditation is granted to the assessor by the same body that
> approves and publishes the industry standards.

Maybe, but isn't that the general purpose of a portfolio? In the freelance
world, I always attach sample URLs, as well as telephone/email references.
Especially for web jobs, where you're always dealing with different types of
businesses and industries, getting a rubberstamp from someone else in your
client's industry is better (and more genuine) than any piece of paper could
ever be.

nagrom