[thelist] ismap+usemap exclusive in IE ?

deboute benjamin deboute at claranet.fr
Fri Nov 29 21:25:14 CST 2002

hi 'voltees,

i've got a weird problem and of course, it's very urgent [ project started
wednesday due on monday.................. ] .

I'm on a project where we have at the same time to position reactive areas
relatively at an image, and the image has to be clickable outside the areas
and trigger a http request with the x and y coordinates of the event.

It may seem very complicated when all laid down, but it should be only either :
  - a client-side map with a defaut shape
  - an img with a ismap attribute and an associated client-side map
  - an input type="image" with a associated client-side map
but...as shown here
http://www.ben2boot.com/tech/articles/divers/bugs/ismap_usemap_ieBug.php
  - IE does not support the default value for the shape attribute of an
area tag
  - with IE implementation of usemap , when an area outside a map is
clicked, even if it is a img ismap or a input image, the click does not
trigger a url change

Has someone ever seen this ? :[

TIA,
ben2boot