[thelist] Question about creation of homemade DVDs

Morgan, Jon A morga2ja at cmich.edu
Mon Dec 2 18:40:01 CST 2002

Originally, I was under the impression that it is possible to edit video digitally with a computer, and then save the video onto a CD so that it could be played in a DVD player. Now, I am confused.

I have a computer that is capable of editing video, and a CD burner. I tried to play a VideoCD on our DVD player without any luck. I then realized that while the player is capable of playing home-made music CD's, it is not as capable of playing video that is just burned onto a CDROM by a computer.

What equipment do I lack? Is this just a matter of converting my video files into a format that DVD players can read and then burning a CD? Or, do I need a DVD burner?

Thanks,

Jon