[thelist] Requests for interviews Re: Has it come to that? (fwd)

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 04:51:01 CST 2002

>Behalf Of Ben Henick
>That those of us freelancing very much like the lifestyle, is the easy
>answer to my questions.  But IMO that answer sucks.

I think if you ask the question "how did you come to freelancing" you
will find the true answer:

Freelancers don't like working for a "boss".

Freelancers are independent thinkers that like to make their own
decisions about how and when they work.

down the ages freelancer also meant mercenary - the best available to
any master as long as the price was paid.

But in the way that you can't shackle a mercenary a Freelance webhead
hates to be cubicled.

That's not to say freelancers don't work well in teams, just that
they're task motivated (think magnificent seven) - once the project is
done they're back to they're own agenda.

what's really needed is good management that understands freelance
mentality and can create a team to get the task done without trying to
control the way it gets done or the way the team interacts - that's the
missing factor.

Maybe?

Tony